10 things you should know about Afrikaans peoples, I mean people

Hi, I'm Charn. I'm from Caledon and I'm... Afrikaans (dum-dum-duuuuuuum) 

Now as a 100% bilingual plattelander-turned-cityslicker, I often get the "oh gosh, you're Afrikaans?!" response when the topic is raised. And just like that I can see the new assumptions being formed behind the eyes of the Englishman standing before me. 

So, dear friend, before you even feel the need to ask, here are the answers to the questions that are so obviously swilling around in your mind: 

#1 Afrikaans people don't eat boerewors and vetkoek for breakfast, and every meal doesn't consist of "reis, vleis en aartappels". Well, it's not compulsory, at least.

#2 Just because she's Afrikaans doesn't mean she has a genetic knack for 'sokkie' or 'langarm'. Now by 'she' I am definitely NOT referring to myself, and I most certainly do NOT recommend that you ask my highly English dance instructor boyfriend about his crushed toes.

#3 Afrikaans people sometimes like drinking other tea besides rooibos and we know that wine doesn't only come in boxes.

#4 The entire Afrikaans-speaking population does not watch Noot vir Noot on a Friday night, and just because I know it plays on a Friday night doesn't mean I watch it either.

#5 Afrikaans couples don't call each other "suikerklontjie", "liefiiiie", "bokkie" and "mosbolletjie". Well, at least not all of them.

#6 Not all Afrikaans peeps were raised on a farm and instinctively know how to milk a cow.

#7 Not all Afrikaans people know each other. Contrary to popular belief we do not meet up around a bonfire every Thursday night and do volkspele to the rythm of Tant Hessie se Wit Perd. We don't. Really.


#8 Just because I'm Afrikaans doesn't mean I know the lyrics to Kaptein or sing Baby Tjoklits in the shower.

#9 Not all Afrikaans girls know how to make the perfect milk tart and some Afrikaans boys are maar pretty vrot at braaiing 'n tjoppie. 

#10 There may be fewer words in the Afrikaans language than in the English dialect, but that still doesn't mean Afrikaans people know every single one of them. There's a lot guys, seriously. 


Much love,
Just another naive Afrikaans poppie xx

3 comments:

  1. Definitely showing this to all my afrikaans friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thoroughly enjoyed that! So true! I started the Afrikaans website "Taalboer" to encourage creative people to post their works! I am fully bilingual, and I love Afrikaans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the comment! I absolutely ADORE your site :-) It's great to see someone doing something to preserve our beautiful language.

      Delete