Oz, The Great & Powerful

Last night (Tuesday) we went to see Oz, The Great and Powerful, and quite frankly my brain is still tottering down the yellow brick road in pure unwavering awe. It's all just so magical and whimsical and enchanting and, well, beautiful!

Now, I'm not a fan of 3D - aside from the little bouncy Ster-Kinekor balls during the previews, it's never really blown my mind. Until last night, that is. The title screens alone shattered my mind - black and white paper cut-outs that immediately evoked childhood memories of my Peter Pan and Alice in Wonderland pop-up books. I'm a copywriter and I have no words to describe it - that's how awesome it is. 

Throughout the movie I constantly found myself flinching at the spears flying towards me and scrunching my face when the river fairy spat water in my eyes (rude, but forgivable). In my humble opinion, it's 3D like no other director has yet managed to pull it off.

China Town, though partially destroyed, almost had me jumping out of my seat. It's a town full of teapot houses, people! Can you even begin to imagine sipping tea in a teapot!? I mean, the irony speaks for itself. 

I can easily write a whole essay on China Girl, but one tiny detail that really blew my mind was the delicate sound of porcelain-on-brick whenever she walks. It almost makes you want to instinctively put out your hands to catch the little doll in case she stumbles. 


 SPOILER ALERT: They float around in bubbles! I know, right!?


Is Oscar (Oz) a bit annoying at times? Yes, very much so. While you do warm towards him at the end of the movie, he's still not nearly as lovable as the supporting cast. In places the story feels like it drags a bit and my mind did wander every so often (though to be fair, doesn't it always?) But all in all the magic, mystery, adventure and spectacular visuals are enough to fill your heart with oodles of joy, and make you overlook any little flips and flops. 

I could go on and on and on about how mesmerisingly beautiful this movie is, but I suggest you best book a ticket and go see for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment